Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Work-Around: High Sierra Update Causes User Account Freeze

When I upgraded to High Sierra, something happened to my main user account, where every time I would try to log in (correct password every time), the spinning lines would spin forever, and I would never get logged in (not to much of an exaggeration - I went to work and came back, and I hadn't been logged in yet, just spinning login lines). I was able to log in as other users, create other user accounts and log in as them. But no such luck for my main user account (the one I performed the upgrade within, if it may make any difference).

I'm willing to bet that login files were corrupted in the update, as other system files appear to have been affected, as well, but that'll be another post (one I actually do not have a work-around nor answer for).

The following steps DID NOT fix the issue (they were performed in this order, as well):

- Press and hold Shift upon hitting "Enter" to log in

- Re-start in Safe Mode (power off Mac, power on and hold Shift key until Login screen)

- Reset the NVRAM (power off Mac, power on and hold Command + Option + P + R for ~20 secs)

- Reset the SMC (power off Mac, unplug power, wait 20 seconds, then plug back in)

- Run Disk Utility First Aid (power off Mac, power on while holding Command + R until Apple logo, then release, select Disk Utility > Macintosh HD > First Aid)

- Re-install MacOS from utilities (power off Mac, power on while holding Command + R until Apple logo, then release, select Reinstall mac OS)

- Re-try starting in Safe Mode POST re-install

When none of these worked, this is what myself and the Genius Bar team decided was the best course of action:

- Create a new user account

- Move all files from broken account to new user account

- Delete broken user account

I am now using a new user account with all of my old files within it. The only things that I had to re-set up on the account were my dock, some appearance settings, my desktop background, and all associated accounts had to be re-logged in (Mail, iTunes, etc).

If you find yourself in the situation that I was in, follow all of the troubleshooting steps that I followed above before creating a new user to replace the old one. Any one of those steps could potentially solve your problem.

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Page content loaded

There are no replies.
User profile for user: jessrd1992

Question: Work-Around: High Sierra Update Causes User Account Freeze