Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage notification sounds not working on locked phone when synced with Apple Watch even if sound is off on watch

It’s really frustrating. I can’t get my phone to make a sound on the locked screen. I read it has to do with haivng a watch but even with sound turned off on the watch I’m still not receiving audible notifications on the locked phone.

iPhone X, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 9:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2017 9:33 PM

How notifications work between your iPhone and the Apple watch depend on how it is configured. See this support document. Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the iPhone is locked, then notifications come to the watch. If the phone is not locked, then notifications come to the iPhone, if you have wrist detection turned on. Turning the sound off on the watch does not change that behavior, it does not make the phone make sounds.

Your notifications will go to your iPhone or your Apple Watch, depending on the device that you're using.

Where you’ll see your notifications

We'll send notifications to the device that you're using, so you can see them as soon as possible.

User uploaded file

If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.

User uploaded file

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode.

When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone. You receive notifications on whichever device you’re using, not both devices at the same time.

User uploaded file

If you don't see notifications on your Apple Watch

When your devices disconnect, your notifications go to your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. To check your connection, swipe up on the watch face to open Control Center. If your devices are disconnected, you might see User uploaded file, User uploaded file, or User uploaded file. Try to connect your iPhone and Apple Watch.

When your Apple Watch locks or you turn on Do Not Disturb, your notifications go to your iPhone.

• When your Apple Watch is locked, User uploaded file appears on the watch face.
  • When Do Not Disturb is on, User uploaded file appears on the watch face. To turn this feature off, swipe up on the watch face, then tap User uploaded file.

For third-party apps, notifications are delivered only if your paired iPhone is also connected to a network.

User uploaded file

Customize or mirror your notification settings

By default, your Apple Watch notifications are set up to mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.For built-in apps, you can customize the notifications on your Apple Watch:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.
  3. Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to use different notification settings just for your Apple Watch, tap Custom.

For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app.

User uploaded file

If you want to hide the notification icon

User uploaded file appears on your watch face when you get a notification. You can hide the red dot, so it doesn't appear when you have unread notifications:

3. Turn off Notifications Indicator.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2017 9:33 PM in response to skapow

How notifications work between your iPhone and the Apple watch depend on how it is configured. See this support document. Notifications on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If the iPhone is locked, then notifications come to the watch. If the phone is not locked, then notifications come to the iPhone, if you have wrist detection turned on. Turning the sound off on the watch does not change that behavior, it does not make the phone make sounds.

Your notifications will go to your iPhone or your Apple Watch, depending on the device that you're using.

Where you’ll see your notifications

We'll send notifications to the device that you're using, so you can see them as soon as possible.

User uploaded file

If your iPhone is unlocked, you'll get notifications on your iPhone, instead of your Apple Watch.

User uploaded file

If your iPhone is locked or asleep, you'll get notifications on your Apple Watch, unless your Apple Watch is locked with your passcode.

When you dismiss notifications on your Apple Watch, they’re also dismissed from your iPhone. You receive notifications on whichever device you’re using, not both devices at the same time.

User uploaded file

If you don't see notifications on your Apple Watch

When your devices disconnect, your notifications go to your iPhone instead of your Apple Watch. To check your connection, swipe up on the watch face to open Control Center. If your devices are disconnected, you might see User uploaded file, User uploaded file, or User uploaded file. Try to connect your iPhone and Apple Watch.

When your Apple Watch locks or you turn on Do Not Disturb, your notifications go to your iPhone.

• When your Apple Watch is locked, User uploaded file appears on the watch face.
  • When Do Not Disturb is on, User uploaded file appears on the watch face. To turn this feature off, swipe up on the watch face, then tap User uploaded file.

For third-party apps, notifications are delivered only if your paired iPhone is also connected to a network.

User uploaded file

Customize or mirror your notification settings

By default, your Apple Watch notifications are set up to mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.For built-in apps, you can customize the notifications on your Apple Watch:

3. Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to use different notification settings just for your Apple Watch, tap Custom.

For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app.

User uploaded file

If you want to hide the notification icon

User uploaded file appears on your watch face when you get a notification. You can hide the red dot, so it doesn't appear when you have unread notifications:

3. Turn off Notifications Indicator.

iMessage notification sounds not working on locked phone when synced with Apple Watch even if sound is off on watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.