Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Port not working and battery draining

My MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) is about three months in use.

I was charging it all the time with the top port on the left side, just because I was used to this position for years now, with my previous MacBooks. About three days ago I noticed that it doesn't take charge on this port, so I used the lower port on the left side and it is charging fine. At that night I put it to sleep by closing the lid as usual (the battery was on 100% charge) and noticed the next morning that the battery was drained completely. Same the next day. Yesterday I tried something else and put it to sleep via the  Menu. This morning battery was drained again, 4% charge left.

Note:

1. There is nothing connected to the MBP at night. No USB device, time machine is disabled etc., I turned WiFi off as well.

2. The top left port is also not accepting any other USB device, ie. external HD, or charging/connecting with my iPhone or iPad.

What I have tried so far:

1. I reset the SMC twice

2. I reset the NVRAM as well

3. I run the Apple Hardware Test (saying its all fine)

I also noticed that the system report is showing only three USB bus, but I don't know if that is normal or not:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately I am living in a small country and there is no Apple Store with Genius Bar that I can visit to check.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 12:28 AM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2017 11:03 AM in response to uwekas

I'm in a very similar situation.

Bought my 13 inch MBPro in Oct. 2017.

After upgrading to High Sierra, left side ucb-c rear stopped taking charge or recognize usb devices. left side front will take charge. No issues with right side usb ports. Also, reboot takes much much longer than before.

Like you, I did the usual SMC, NVRAM reset... nothing. Also tried clean install... nothing.

I've had authorized repair run diagnostics (more detailed than the one that comes with macs)... nothing found.

I've got a Genius Bar appointment this Saturday.

Nov 19, 2017 2:45 AM in response to uwekas

Just came back from Genius Bar appointment.

Noted the following issues to the person assisting me:

1) Left side ucb-c port issues (both don't recognized devices, rear don't charge, front charges)

2) Slow boot after High Sierra update

3) Fast battery drain

Before the Genius Bar guy can run their own diagnostics, he discovered my machine is not accepting "critical update". This typically means firmware update was not being automatically accepted. He said this is a serious issue.

So he needed the machine to be looked at the repair shop. They will push the firmware update manually and then probably replace the main logic board (he guess there's h/w issue as far as usb-charging). Few days in the repair shop. I'll update you again, when I get the repaired mahcine.

I hope the above will be helpful to you.

Dec 4, 2017 10:12 PM in response to winhawk757

Just got my Macbook Pro back from the Apple repair...

Since I handed the machine right before Thanksgiving, it probably took longer... but my guess is that the work took about 5 business days(?)

According to the invoice I received following was replaced:

- Logic Board

- Top case with battery ANSI keyboard

So it sounds like they replace all the guts?

Because everything was still under warranty, zero charge to me. Otherwise it would've cost around $480.

So far I haven't found any issue with it... spending the almost entire day restoring stuff from Time Machine.

USB-C Port not working and battery draining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.