Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How to receive SMS from the data sim in iPad?

I have an iPad pro having a data SIM. I want to be able to receive SMS messages that are sent to that data SIM.

Currently I can only receive messages sent to my iPhone which is using the same Apple ID and has a different SIM with a different number.

My main problem is that my mobile carrier would send important SMS messages to the number belonging to the data SIM in my iPad (like password reset code, remaining quota, notification about data package renewal, etc). I am unable to read those messages unless I remove the SIM card from the iPad and put it in a phone and even then I can only read the messages received while the SIM is placed in the phone, so the older messages are lost forever.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular, iOS 11.1

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I know I can receive SMS messages from the iPhone on the iPad. But those SMS messages are sent to the number for the SIM in the iPhone not the SIM in the iPad.

How can I receive the messages for the SIM in the iPad?

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 4:23 AM in response to Grendizer In response to Grendizer

Hi. You cannot receive SMS sent to the SIM in your iPad. As already explained, SMS are sent over the voice network, not the internet. And your iPad does not connect to the voice network. If you have a data-only SIM, your carrier should not be sending SMS to that number. You should contact your carrier to get a data SIM.

Nov 16, 2017 1:31 AM in response to Grendizer In response to Grendizer

sms are not send as data they are send in multiplex free slots for voice which explain why they were around long prior to grps and other data over cell protocols

you can't receive normal sms with ipads but if you have an iPhone it can be set to make the ipad receive the sms too

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 1:31 AM in response to Grendizer In response to Grendizer

sms are not send as data they are send in multiplex free slots for voice which explain why they were around long prior to grps and other data over cell protocols

you can't receive normal sms with ipads but if you have an iPhone it can be set to make the ipad receive the sms too

Nov 16, 2017 1:31 AM

Reply Helpful (3)
Question marked as Solved

Nov 16, 2017 1:30 AM in response to Rudegar In response to Rudegar

I know I can receive SMS messages from the iPhone on the iPad. But those SMS messages are sent to the number for the SIM in the iPhone not the SIM in the iPad.

How can I receive the messages for the SIM in the iPad?

Nov 16, 2017 1:30 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 16, 2017 4:23 AM in response to Grendizer In response to Grendizer

Hi. You cannot receive SMS sent to the SIM in your iPad. As already explained, SMS are sent over the voice network, not the internet. And your iPad does not connect to the voice network. If you have a data-only SIM, your carrier should not be sending SMS to that number. You should contact your carrier to get a data SIM.

Nov 16, 2017 4:23 AM

Reply Helpful (5)
User profile for user: Grendizer

Question: How to receive SMS from the data sim in iPad?