Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: need to update from Yosemite to El Capitan

I need to migrate files between older MacBook to MacBook Air. The older one is running El Capitan. The newer one is running Yosemite. I can't migrate because the old one is running a newer OS apparently. I can't seem to get the MacBook Air to get to El Capitan. I have downloaded El Capitan from web and when I try to update, I'm told it can't go from 10.10.5 to El Capitan. What to do to get from 10.10 to 10.11?

What to do so that I can do the transfer of files between computers?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

The ONLY legitimate place to get el-cap is from the Mac app store. That copy you downloaded from the web is an illegal bootleg.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 5:39 AM in response to KiltedTim In response to KiltedTim

Thank you kilted Tim, actually what I need to do is upgrade to High Sierra. When I looked into it, there is no longer an EL Capitan upgrade on App Store. Apple is recommending going straight to High Sierra. So that’s what I’m doing for the MBAir. Thank you for your quick response.

Nov 16, 2017 5:39 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 5:56 AM in response to AMEmanuelli In response to AMEmanuelli

There is a way to get el-cap from the store if you have a machine that either can not be upgraded to HS, or needs an interim update to el-cap in order to upgrade to HS.

Otherwise, you would upgrade directly to High Sierra, as you've already discovered.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Nov 16, 2017 5:56 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: AMEmanuelli

Question: need to update from Yosemite to El Capitan