Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

users created do not show up after upgrading to high sierra

I added two users with administrative authority. Neither show up in the list of users. When I went to create them again it showed that the folders were there so I cancelled the second tries. I also do not see the guest user on the opening screen. List of users is checked in the users part of systems preferences. I was on with Apple support for an hour and they finally said they could not help me. Does anyone know how to resolve this issue?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2017 6:30 AM

We finally found why new users are not showed.

This happen for me when if have my administrator account with no password set. As soon as you add a password for the administrator account, lock and delock the Preferences panel and you will be able to add and see new accounts correctly again.

For previous created accounts which are still not visible, recreate them with same root folder and they will be visible.

If you have some unwanted Groups which were created with the no password account. After adding a password to the administrator account it will allow to delete these groups.

It's most probably a bug in High Sierra.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2017 6:30 AM in response to gg66

We finally found why new users are not showed.

This happen for me when if have my administrator account with no password set. As soon as you add a password for the administrator account, lock and delock the Preferences panel and you will be able to add and see new accounts correctly again.

For previous created accounts which are still not visible, recreate them with same root folder and they will be visible.

If you have some unwanted Groups which were created with the no password account. After adding a password to the administrator account it will allow to delete these groups.

It's most probably a bug in High Sierra.

users created do not show up after upgrading to high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.