Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't boot into safe mode

Since upgrading to High Sierra, there are 2 things that don't work:

1. the system freezes when I use the Disk Utility app. (Note: I can run Disk Utility through the Recovery process). I have not seen anything that suggests that the Disk Utility app doesn't work. Should it? If it should, why doesn't mine work?

2. when trying to boot in Safe Mode, the progress meter gets to the end but does not go into safe mode.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), mid-2015

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 7:01 AM

4 replies

Nov 16, 2017 8:42 AM in response to anonyme4321

Thank you.

I reset the NVRAM and SMC. Then I ran Disk Utility via Startup with Command-R. No problems were noted.

Unfortunately, when I then tried to boot into Safe Mode, nothing changed: the progress meter was completely filled but then, after I waited ~20 minutes, still did not go into Safe Mode.

I welcome any additional suggestions.

NOTE: The reason I want my MacBook Pro to load Safe Mode is to diagnose a problem I am having running XFINITY TV streaming with Firefox 57 and 58. I had no problems with Firefox 56.

can't boot into safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.