Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove unwanted login

I upgrade my Mac Mini (late 2012) from Sierra to High Sierra. When it completed the upgrade I found an additional login named "Other" that is not listed in Users or Groups. How can I remove the login?

Mac mini (Late 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 7:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:17 AM

It might be the root user. For some reason High Sierra enables this on some installs. No idea why.

• Click on the magnifying glass in the Menu Bar (upper right corner of screen).
  • Type: Directory Utility to launch this app.
  • Click on the lock in lower left corner so you can make changes. Enter admin credentials.
  • On the Menu Bar, click Edit and check to see if root user shows Disable Root or Enable Root. If it says Disable Root, click it to disable the root user. It should change to Enable User I don't remember.The Other on the logon screen should go away next time you login. I think you can logout of your current account and check it.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 10:17 AM in response to kbparkway

It might be the root user. For some reason High Sierra enables this on some installs. No idea why.

• Click on the magnifying glass in the Menu Bar (upper right corner of screen).
  • Type: Directory Utility to launch this app.
  • Click on the lock in lower left corner so you can make changes. Enter admin credentials.
  • On the Menu Bar, click Edit and check to see if root user shows Disable Root or Enable Root. If it says Disable Root, click it to disable the root user. It should change to Enable User I don't remember.The Other on the logon screen should go away next time you login. I think you can logout of your current account and check it.

Remove unwanted login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.