Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut x - managing storage

Greetings

I'm loving Final cut x, but very much a novice so forgive my naïve questions! I use it to create live music videos and import many hours of footage from 3 cameras. My questions are aimed at not using too much storage on my 3TB hard drive (which is rapidly dwindling!)

1. When I import my video footage from Photos, I have tried to trim in photos first to only bring a smaller part of the footage, but it always imports the whole amount of the original video. Is there anyway to achieve this where I trim in photos first?

2. I have final cut x set to import optimized footage but realizing this is using up a lot of space. When I've finished and exported my video, if I transcode to proxy or native, will it automatically remove the optimized and free up space? or will I have both optimized and proxy, and therefore use up more space?

3. If I go forward using proxy media, when I share to youtube for example, will the quality be inferior than if I use optimized media to edit? or does it all export at the same quality?

Hope some experts can help me!, as I don't want to have to buy more storage if I can help it!

PS my system is a 2011 Imac 27in (El capitan) with a Samsung 500gb SSD that I install the applications on with a 3tb internal HD for storage which is where I store my files for photos logic x and final cut x. I also have 2TB of storage on icloud.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 7:33 AM

9 replies

final cut x - managing storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.