Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: final cut x - managing storage

Greetings

I'm loving Final cut x, but very much a novice so forgive my naïve questions! I use it to create live music videos and import many hours of footage from 3 cameras. My questions are aimed at not using too much storage on my 3TB hard drive (which is rapidly dwindling!)

1. When I import my video footage from Photos, I have tried to trim in photos first to only bring a smaller part of the footage, but it always imports the whole amount of the original video. Is there anyway to achieve this where I trim in photos first?

2. I have final cut x set to import optimized footage but realizing this is using up a lot of space. When I've finished and exported my video, if I transcode to proxy or native, will it automatically remove the optimized and free up space? or will I have both optimized and proxy, and therefore use up more space?

3. If I go forward using proxy media, when I share to youtube for example, will the quality be inferior than if I use optimized media to edit? or does it all export at the same quality?

Hope some experts can help me!, as I don't want to have to buy more storage if I can help it!

PS my system is a 2011 Imac 27in (El capitan) with a Samsung 500gb SSD that I install the applications on with a 3tb internal HD for storage which is where I store my files for photos logic x and final cut x. I also have 2TB of storage on icloud.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 7:42 AM in response to Remedy9.8 In response to Remedy9.8

1. No. Rather than import your video into Photos, import directly from the camera card or archive ti FCP and import selectively. There are no real advantages to importing into Photos and many disadvantages, not least of which that in many cases it doesn’t handle the files correctly for production.

Nov 16, 2017 7:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 7:44 AM in response to Remedy9.8 In response to Remedy9.8

2. The files will not be removed automatically. There is a Delete Generated Files function in the File menu that will do this. Don’t generate optimized or proxy on import unless you know you will need to. For many users optimized files are not necessary and simply take up a lot of space and put more demands on your drives.

Nov 16, 2017 7:44 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 7:46 AM in response to Remedy9.8 In response to Remedy9.8

3. Be careful with this. If you export in proxy mode you are export low quality proxy resolution files. Don’t do this. Switch the viewer back to optimized/original. There will be no difference in quality exporting an optimized or original file; there will be in exporting a proxy file.

Nov 16, 2017 7:46 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 7:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky In response to Tom Wolsky

Ok excellent. So if I transcode to back to original media and delete the generated files from file menu; Will everything still play correctly in my events/projects but I will have saved storage space? or does reverting to original and deleting the optimized mean I have to do all my editing again?

Nov 16, 2017 7:54 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Remedy9.8

Question: final cut x - managing storage