Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages/Facetime activation problem

I give up. running 10.12.6 on MBP. Bought new iphone last week which may be relevant or not, but getting 'An error occurred during activation' error message from facetime and messages on MBP. using two factor authentication. everything on phone works as should. all Apple ID logins work as they should, except two aforementioned apps, on MBP. this an Apple services prob? on my phone, Settings/imessage/send-receive, my phone number is greyed out on “you can be reached by imessage at”, but blacked in on “start new conversations from”. relevant? i went from iphone 6 to 7 last week (not willing to go 1K+ for X, yet). activation probs on MBP since phone switch. Coincidence? Facetime preferences greyed out so can’t access that

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 8:51 AM

1 reply

Nov 17, 2017 4:27 PM in response to longgonesam

Hey, longgonesam.

I see you're experiencing issues with activating Messages and FaceTime on your MacBook Pro. You mention Messages on your iPhone, but those settings are just fine. I'm happy to help with your MacBook Pro.
If you can‘t sign in to your iMessage account or FaceTime on your Mac -- Follow the steps provided in this support article. FaceTime Preferences will become available once you've been able to successfully sign in.

Take care!

Messages/Facetime activation problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.