Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I upgrade to High Sierra, will iPhoto still work?

I prefer to use iPhoto because all my events have not transferred to Photos. Will I lose

iPhoto if I upgrade?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 9:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 5:42 AM

If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 it will work with High Sierra.

You Events do transfer to Photos but as albums in a folder titled iPhoto Events:

User uploaded file

This user tip explains it: Moments in Photos are the New Events.

Here are some additional user tips from Photos for Mac User Tips that will help you in your transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Photos 2.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Moments in Photos are the New Events.

External Editors in Photos Are Here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

I suggest you create a test Photos library, import about 100 photos and experiment with all features to get familiar with what it can do. Eventually iPhoto will no be compatible with the system, maybe as soon as 10.14 but we don't know, and you will be forced to migrate to Photos. Then you'll be familiar enough with it to make the transition efficiently and painlessly.

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 5:42 AM in response to pinecastle

If you have iPhoto 9.6.1 it will work with High Sierra.

You Events do transfer to Photos but as albums in a folder titled iPhoto Events:

User uploaded file

This user tip explains it: Moments in Photos are the New Events.

Here are some additional user tips from Photos for Mac User Tips that will help you in your transition from iPhoto to Photos:

Photos 2.0 vs iPhoto 9.6.1: Features and Capabilities

Moments in Photos are the New Events.

External Editors in Photos Are Here

Notes on Migrating an iPhoto Library from iPhoto to Photos for Mac

Photo Editing Extensions for Photos for Mac

I suggest you create a test Photos library, import about 100 photos and experiment with all features to get familiar with what it can do. Eventually iPhoto will no be compatible with the system, maybe as soon as 10.14 but we don't know, and you will be forced to migrate to Photos. Then you'll be familiar enough with it to make the transition efficiently and painlessly.

User uploaded file

If I upgrade to High Sierra, will iPhoto still work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.