Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Breve accented characters?

How to type accents, emoji, and symbols on your Mac - Apple Support

According to article above I can't type breve ǎ (for example)

Any ideas what could I do? copy and paste is not my option

Thank you

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:35 AM

In System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Input Sources tab, click the + symbol to add Romanian Standard. At the bottom, select Show Input menu in menu bar. Quit System Preferences.

When you are ready to type ă , you select Romanian from the menu bar input sources menu, and then press and hold the letter 'a'. Select the ă character from the floating panel:

User uploaded file

Then, back at the input source menu bar item, select your normal input language.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 10:35 AM in response to tidacha

In System Preferences : Keyboard panel : Input Sources tab, click the + symbol to add Romanian Standard. At the bottom, select Show Input menu in menu bar. Quit System Preferences.

When you are ready to type ă , you select Romanian from the menu bar input sources menu, and then press and hold the letter 'a'. Select the ă character from the floating panel:

User uploaded file

Then, back at the input source menu bar item, select your normal input language.

Nov 16, 2017 10:43 AM in response to tidacha

For a keyboard shortcut you need to add the ABC Extended input source in system prefs/keyboard/input sources. Then breve is option B followed by the base letter.

But the accent you put on the a in your question is NOT a breve. It is the hachek. For that the keyboard shortcut is option V followed by the base letter.

If in fact you want some macrons, the shortcut is option A followed by the base letter.

Breve accented characters?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.