Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C Adapter

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

So I figured there would be loads of questions about connecting peripherals to the MacBook Pro because of this extremely stressful hunt for adapters, but when I searched, what I was looking for didn't quite appear. Most of it was outdated. So, here we go.

My Goal:

Connect an audio interface and an external 1080p monitor simultaneously, while charging my MacBook Pro.

Additional Details:

I have the option of getting a USB-3 OR a USB-C audio interface. Whichever works with whatever solution I may find for all of this. The monitor will connect via HDMI.

Issues:

1. The solution is Apples "USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter" ( USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple ) -- However, if you read the reviews... One out of every 12 people actually had this product work for them. Either one or all of the aspects of the adapter have failed for so many. I've never in my life seen this volume of bad product reviews on an Apple product. In fact, all of the Apple USB-C adapters have awful reviews. I also fear that if this adapter DOES work, will the USB-3 port be strong enough (while working to output HDMI and charge) without burning out, to power my Audio Interface seamlessly.

2. The other solution comes from your typical Amazon search for USB-C Hub, or USB-C Adapter. There's so many on there, yet with each and every one of them, there's been tons of issues with overheating, HDMI dropping out, interfering with Wi-Fi connectivity, and not supplying enough power to charge the MacBook via passthrough or power an external hard drive.

The other solutions I've found that would WORK for these issues individually, wouldn't address the others, and I can't afford that trade off right now. I need HDMI, USB-3, and CHARGING all simultaneously.

This whole search has put a very bad taste in my mouth, and I've been a huge Apple fan for a decade now. If ANYONE has any advice, or has gone through this please let me know!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 2 Thunderbolt (USB-C) Ports

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 12:51 PM

Note here in the blow-up:

User uploaded file

The two versions have two USB-C ports - one on each side of the Ethernet port. The one on the right runs to the computer. The other one is a spare. The dock comes with its own power brick with the power to run more than the computer alone. The 3 ports on the left side are USB 3.1 ports or high-speed USB.

The top model has an HDMI port while the bottom model has a Mini DisplayPort. The latter is the port that uses the same cable connector as Thunderbolt 2.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 12:51 PM in response to Kappy

Note here in the blow-up:

User uploaded file

The two versions have two USB-C ports - one on each side of the Ethernet port. The one on the right runs to the computer. The other one is a spare. The dock comes with its own power brick with the power to run more than the computer alone. The 3 ports on the left side are USB 3.1 ports or high-speed USB.

The top model has an HDMI port while the bottom model has a Mini DisplayPort. The latter is the port that uses the same cable connector as Thunderbolt 2.

USB-C Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.