Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV 4K freezing in playback of 4K iTunes movies

TV os 11.1 I have been getting intermittent freezing of playback with the swirl icon with 4K films even when they have been downloaded to the 64 AppleTV 4K the only recourse is to restart the Apple TV and when restarted the movies app has lost the place it had reached in the film meaning a lot of siri advance 5 min to to near the storage point

my data is 5/50 gigabit wired ethernet and there is no problem with it when this happens

is there any thing else I can do other than restart when this happens?

anyone else seen this problem?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 4 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:15 AM

8 replies

Nov 16, 2017 5:25 PM in response to vazandrew

I meant to say the iTunes 4k movies are on a mac mini with 4 tera of ssd storage where I download all my films that is on the wired ethernet network the whole network is fine it is not that it is in the 4k and it is new since the 11.1 update

the speed was checked at 5,7/54 on that networked Mac mini while the appleTV 4K was spinning its wheels watching a fresh 4Khdr copy of Harry potter one... and after the restart the film played fine except it had forgotten how much of it had played ....

Nov 16, 2017 6:16 PM in response to vazandrew

Oh yes I also tested it with an apple AirPort Extreme 802.11ac

but that was fine as it is fed by the same cable modern as the ethernet network is Normally I just use the airport for the iOS devices in the house so aside from the chance of interference I guess it has been on the wiFi network all day with no problems (as long as a 4K film is not also being watched on the iPad pro) but the freeze in the movies app only happens every 10 or so hours of 4K movie use. I can leave it there but the whole point of having the AppleTV 4K on the wired network is to be sure that there are no wifi problems.I also use the wifi for the Sony A1E OLED 4K HDR smart tv and the Sony 4K Blueray. they all work just fine on it as only one at a time use the full bandwidth of wifi

Nov 16, 2017 9:01 PM in response to vazandrew

I assume that if I have downloaded th movie to iTunes on the Mac and the Mack is on the same wired network as the tv that when I use the app on the tv it is taking the film from the short length of high speed data cable to the Mac and not try to stream it from a data centre a long way away. All the extras for the film are available so I assume it is coming from iTunes why does all this matter the problem is it is freezing some times. And when it freezes I can go to the iPad Pro and check speed on it over the WiFi so I know that the network connection is fine. Then I can menu back out of the frozen movie on the atv an go to the restart selection and once it restarts things are again fine for a few days . To me this looks like an appletv 4K problem but I am just looking for a work around till it is fixed. To try to be a bit more clear the appletv is not freezing I am playing the movie by selection of its last viewed frame on the top row with continue showing in its corner I if that is not the movies app or the iTunes app then I do not know what is showing the 🎥

Nov 17, 2017 6:58 AM in response to Windshadow99

If you are using the movies app then it is streaming from the cloud (“data centre”), you need to use the computers app if you want to stream the content stored on your Mac. If you are streaming from iTunes then try disabling quick start. If you were using home sharing then as I said it is the local network that needs investigating.

Checking from another device doesnt doesn’t rule out the network

AppleTV 4K freezing in playback of 4K iTunes movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.