Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any chance of Apple adding backwards compatibility to iOS in future updates?

That's basically it. I have lots of apps/games I purchased that are not compatible with iOS 11. There is the designation of "iPad" and "iPhone" apps in iOS. Would be nice to also see "32-bit" and "64-bit". If not, then how about at least refunding everyone for all the 32-bit apps/games they can no longer use in 11?

Not really looking for replies of "well the developers had been notified in advance... blah blah blah".

I'm sure this is in the wrong community(closest match I see is 'iOS apps', but does not allow me to post there)

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Thank you

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 11:18 AM

3 replies

Nov 16, 2017 1:11 PM in response to josephd77

The developer of your apps/games needs to update their app/game to be compatible with the current version of iOS. And they have had plenty of time to do so, as Apple makes the seeds for new versions of iOS available to registered app developers. It would be impossible for Apple to develop an operating system that was backwards compatible with millions of apps & games.

Late 2012 Mac mini, macOS 10.13.1;  Watch S3, watchOS 4.1; iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6+, iOS 11.1; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 11.1;  Airport Express

Nov 16, 2017 1:20 PM in response to josephd77

Why would Apple ever refund you for Apps and games that developers fail to update?

Do TV manufacturers refund you because your old TV can no longer be used with the New 4k cable boxes?

Do car manufacturers refund you, because their old cars don´t use the new gas economizing engines?

Does Microsoft refund you for apps and games that no longer run on Windows 10?

i can understand your frustration, but there is nothing that states Apps and games you own will be supported and function forever on your devices.

The fact remains developers had 2 years to update their apps, and you had 2nyears to find updated replacements. If neither was done, why is Apple responsible for your apps?

Any chance of Apple adding backwards compatibility to iOS in future updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.