Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: iTunes mess with Volume of tracks ''-db''

Alright, I know this title may not be super clear. But Whenever I listen to anything on iTunes, example a burned CD in AIFF/ALAC, In the file descriptions the volume is toned down, for example ''-11 db'' in the Volume section. I've included a screenshot so y'all know what I'm talking about.

I don't want to import everything in WAV because I know i wont be able to put album artwork on it.

What do?User uploaded file

iOS 6.1.4, iTunes Volume

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 17, 2017 6:56 PM in response to MaxxTankian In response to MaxxTankian

Maxx,

That field called Volume on the File tab of Song Info is iTunes analysis of the track. It is used by iTunes Soundcheck to attempt to level out volume variations between songs upon playback.

iTunes does not "mess with" the volume upon import, only upon playback.

Nov 17, 2017 6:56 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 8:32 AM in response to MaxxTankian In response to MaxxTankian

Is there a way I can verify theres indeed no playback gain?

Maxx, Yes.

• On an iTunes-wide basis, make sure the three options on the Playback preferences tab are all not enabled (as shown above).
  • On a per-song basis, make sure that "Volume Adjust" is set to 0, and "Equalizer" is set to None. These are found on the Options tab of Song Info (as shown below).

User uploaded file

Nov 19, 2017 8:32 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 11:33 AM in response to ed2345 In response to ed2345

None of these are active. I used dBpoweramp, and now the info looks like this: User uploaded file

Compared to the first picture i sent, where the volume was affected ''Track Gain dB'' wise, where can I verify there is indeed no track gain?

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2017 11:33 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 5:17 PM in response to MaxxTankian In response to MaxxTankian

Compared to the first picture i sent, where the volume was affected ''Track Gain dB'' wise, where can I verify there is indeed no track gain?

Thanks!

Maxx,

Before adding to iTunes, make a copy of the track. Add one to iTunes and keep one outside. Inspect the two of them with your favorite tool. (I would use Audacity, but you may well have a better way.) See if the copy that was added had its volume modified in any way.

Nov 19, 2017 5:17 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 19, 2017 7:04 PM in response to MaxxTankian In response to MaxxTankian

MaxxTankian wrote:

Already did that, doesn’t seems like it has any noticeable difference

Maxx,

Yup, that is what is expected. iTunes does not modify the volume upon import. It only analyzes the file and saves the dB level for possible use in playback. Hopefully that resolves your concern.

Nov 19, 2017 7:04 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: MaxxTankian

Question: iTunes mess with Volume of tracks ''-db''