Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Unable to search (Spotlight) networked drives/folders

Our setup is as follows:

Client: 10.13.1

Server: 10.3.9

Our 10.6.8 machines (a very, very mixed OS workplace) can search the networked/shared drives fine while machines updated to 10.13+ no longer can. Is the server too old? Is there something we need to enable in High Sierra to do searching?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 12:01 PM in response to IslandPaper In response to IslandPaper

Note: I'm not sure if the following will work for older versions of OS X, but here are the Terminal commands to allow Spotlight indexing of network drives.

• To get the indexing status of a network drive: mdutil /Volumes/<share_name> -s
  • To enable Spotlight indexing of a network drive: mdutil /Volumes/<share_name> -i on
  • To disable Spotlight indexing of a network drive: mdutil /Volumes/<share_name> -i off

Nov 16, 2017 12:01 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 2:39 PM in response to Tesserax In response to Tesserax

I've been able to enable Spotlight indexing for some of the drives, but searches aren't as capable or quick as the 10.6 machines. Wish I knew more about what changed between upgrading from 10.11 to 10.13 with this computer, but whatever happened is causing these searching issues.

Thanks for the input.

Nov 16, 2017 2:39 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: IslandPaper

Question: Unable to search (Spotlight) networked drives/folders