Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail for High Sierra isn't opening email links

I've recently upgraded to the new High Sierra on my Macbook Air and so far it seems like a straightforward incremental upgrade to the OS. However, the enhancements to Apple Mail seems to have included a change in how links work.

In previous versions of Apple Mail, when I click on an email link, it automatically opens the link in my chosen browser (Chrome in my case).

In the new Apple Mail that comes with High Sierra, I click an email link and it does not change the focus to the browser window. Instead, it opens a new window (not a new tab--why? this is strange) but doesn't actually load the link! I cannot find anything in preferences to specify how Mail should handle links, so I think we are dealing with a bug.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 12:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 2:42 PM

I'm seeing the normal old behavior, opening Mail links in a new tab, but I have Safari chosen as the default browser. Can you try changing your preferred browser in Mail and see if that fixes the problem? Then if that works you can change it back and see if it sticks. It could also be that Chrome needs an update to match some new macOS requirements.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2017 2:42 PM in response to tnilson

I'm seeing the normal old behavior, opening Mail links in a new tab, but I have Safari chosen as the default browser. Can you try changing your preferred browser in Mail and see if that fixes the problem? Then if that works you can change it back and see if it sticks. It could also be that Chrome needs an update to match some new macOS requirements.

Apple Mail for High Sierra isn't opening email links

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.