Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview stuck on markup tool

I used Preview v 9.0 Mac OS 10.12.6 to markup an image.

Now when I open any image e.g. a screen shot in Preview, it is stuck on the last markup tool I used (the Add Rectangle Tool).

What I need to do is to tell Preview not to use ANY Markup Tool on an image but I cannot seem to do it.

Any idea how to accomplish this?

thanks

Caroline

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 12:26 PM

12 replies

Nov 19, 2017 1:15 AM in response to cdeegan

When an image is opened with preview , click on show tool bar selection , after that you open rectangular selection you have to move three fingers in rectangular way to select the portion in the window , a blue dotted rectangle will be created .

You have to tap once in the blue rectangle to remove it .

User uploaded file

Nov 18, 2017 9:17 AM in response to cdeegan

cdeegan wrote:

I guess the only option is to up my OS to High Sierra and hope that fixes Preview.

Unfortunately there is no stand alone Preview.app installer.

The other option is reinstall your Sierra on top of your existing macOS. I suspect this will sort the Preview issue.

It will leave your user/data/bookmarks/etc. intact and untouched. Always good to have a backup non the less.

Can be done from Recovery. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

or from a copy of the installer if you made one. How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Nov 16, 2017 5:30 PM in response to cdeegan

Forgot to say test in Safe Boot mode, this will verify no third party apps interfering. You can also get at this another way by closing all other programs, and/or from >System Preferences>Users&Groups> (Your account)>Log-in Items. You will have to unlock the padlock to make changes. Delete ➖ all third party programs that may launch on reboot. You can always add them back in one at a time. It just takes a bit of snooping around.

It is possible it is a corrupt plist. Quit Preview.app and

From Finder>Go>Got to Folder> copy and Paste:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Preview.plist

delete the com.apple.Preview.plist

and launch Preview.app, the plist will rebuild itself a fresh version.

Nov 16, 2017 7:23 PM in response to cdeegan

If the above doesn't work, do a backup, preferable 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit Preview.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Remove the following. You may not find them all. Restart and test.

Containers/com.apple.Preview

Containers/com.apple.quicklook.ui.helper

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist

Preferences/com.apple.Preview.SandboxedPersistentURLs.LSSharedFileList.plist

Saved Application State/com.apple.Preview.savedState

Credit Linc Davis for this solution.

Preview Reset automatic download - 3rd party solution

Nov 18, 2017 8:17 AM in response to cdeegan

You are welcome. Probably a long shot, but try running this program in your normal account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Nov 18, 2017 9:11 PM in response to cdeegan

Is it possible for you to upload a screenshot showing the stuck markup tool, and perhaps another of what it does when you use it ?.

Do you see the same thing in both text documents (a pdf with selectable text, say) and images ?.

What file(s) did you test with in the new User account ?.

Preview stuck on markup tool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.