Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Replacement policy

My iPhone 8 was dead out of the box. Phone support was unable to get it to work so I had to bring it into an Apple store. Diagnosis confirmed a bad phone. The store offered to replace the brand new (but dead) phone with a refurbished one. I declined, and returned the phone. I wonder if this is standard Apple policy or did I just run into a glitch. I hear that Samsung makes nice phones.

iPhone 8, iOS 11.1

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 16, 2017 2:33 PM in response to lowriskLA In response to lowriskLA

It will be replaced with a service unit. A service unit may be new or refurbished. It is highly unlikely at this early stage in the lifecycle of the iPhone 8 that the replacement is refurbished. There hasn't been time to process returned units and get them into the service pipeline yet.

By the way, Samsung's policy on replacements is the same. Making ridiculous threats isn't going to do anything to enhance our opinion of you. Quite the opposite.

Nov 16, 2017 2:33 PM

Reply Helpful

Nov 16, 2017 2:42 PM in response to lowriskLA In response to lowriskLA

If it was purchased directly from Apple, and within their 14 day unconditional return period you could return it for full refund and then buy another, new, one (effectively swapping it). Outside of that return period, or if purchased from someone other than Apple (and thus making a warranty claim) then yes you would receive a service unit under warranty. Service units may, or may not be, retail new units.

Nov 16, 2017 2:42 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: lowriskLA

Question: Replacement policy