Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: OS X El Capitan install screen, pressing 'continue' button, nothing happens

I used a MacBook Pro running macOS Sierra, to create a El Capitan 8GB USB drive to use

to install El Capitan on a Late 2008 Macbook 13"

I inserted the USB drive, the Apple logo appeared, and soon after a loading progress bar. Then the multi-language welcome screen comes up, I click the arrow to continue the installation in English. The next screen is the OS X Utilities screen, I open Disk Utility and select the SSD drive I installed, I click Erase, and let it format it with the default settings.

I exit Disk Utility and return to the main OS X Utilities screen, and select "Install OS X" and click continue, and it does nothing. I wait, try again 30 seconds later, a minute later, etc... nothing.

What could be the cause of it not initiating the install when clicking 'continue'?

SSD:

[SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA III 2.5-Inch SDSSDHII-480G-G25]

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Fresh install

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I was able to re-download El Capitan by going to "purchases" in the App store since I had downloaded it before. I created the USB using the standard command line instructions. I was able to boot and immediately begin the installation. Thank you Mike and Eric for helping me.

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 17, 2017 2:52 AM in response to UsingMacOSXstill In response to UsingMacOSXstill

It sounds like your bootable usb is working ok but you might try recreating that just in case some of the installer files didn't copy correctly How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

You might also try running the installer with the drive installed in an external enclosure or dock.

Nov 17, 2017 2:52 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 11:45 AM in response to Mike Sombrio In response to Mike Sombrio

I deleted my download of El Capitan (10.11.0) and found the link to the latest version on the app store (10.11.6) but it will not let me download on the Macbook Pro running Sierra (10.12.6). Any way around this?

Nov 17, 2017 11:45 AM

Reply Helpful
Question marked as Solved

Nov 17, 2017 7:12 PM in response to UsingMacOSXstill In response to UsingMacOSXstill

I was able to re-download El Capitan by going to "purchases" in the App store since I had downloaded it before. I created the USB using the standard command line instructions. I was able to boot and immediately begin the installation. Thank you Mike and Eric for helping me.

Nov 17, 2017 7:12 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: UsingMacOSXstill

Question: OS X El Capitan install screen, pressing 'continue' button, nothing happens