Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the Apple Watch series 3 withstand a 2 hour or more swim work out before you need to clear water?

I’m a swimmer and would like to be able to track my whole 2 hour and 30 minute practices without having to stop and clear water from the Apple Watch every so minutes.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4.1

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 6:45 PM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2017 1:54 AM in response to NoahY

Hi

Yes, it can - there is no time limit for usage in a pool.

Be sure to check that your Apple Watch has sufficient battery charge before starting your workout. Examples of expected battery life are detailed here, including with use of the Workout app:

Apple Watch - Battery - Apple

Apple's tips for maximising battery life on Apple Watch are detailed here:

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Note also that Apple advises that, after swimming with Apple Watch Series 3, you should gently rinse it with warm tap water and dry it with a soft, lint-free cloth.

More information and handling instructions:

Nov 16, 2017 7:49 PM in response to NoahY

The longest swim session I’ve done I probably 1 hr 20 minutes, but I use a 3rd party app (swim.com) that doesn’t use the water lock and I’ve never had any trouble. I usually swim 4-5 days a week with my watch. Every now and the, after a workout, I will turn the water lock on and off to expel any water in the speaker, but I really don’t even do that very often.

My understanding is that the main purpose of the water lock is to prevent accidental touches on the watch screen.

Can the Apple Watch series 3 withstand a 2 hour or more swim work out before you need to clear water?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.