Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete all contacts labeled "All on my Mac" from Contacts (desktop)?

Is it possible to delete all contacts labeled "All on my Mac" from Contacts (desktop)? These are duplicating what is saved on iCloud drive, so I really only need one set and want iCloud (my default) to be that one. I've merged duplicates though I don't know where the merges were made. I assume to my default contact list. And I should haveTIme Machine backups in case i royally screw this up. tx

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), 13 inch with Touchbar (2016 late)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 5:34 PM

5 replies

Nov 16, 2017 6:54 PM in response to jinet

jinet,

If your intention is to use iCloud Contacts, there is no need to retain "On My Mac" Contacts.

Additionally, if you have confirmed that iCloud contains all of your desired contacts, be sure to Archive your iCloud Contacts before you delete the On My Mac Contacts.

Be aware that if you delete an iCloud contact it will be removed from all of your devices.

If you are not comfortable deleting all of the On My Mac contacts at once, delete one or two, and confirm that those contacts remain in iCloud Contacts.

Get help using iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders - Apple Support should also be consulted if you have any doubts.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 6:42 AM in response to jinet

jinet wrote:

THanks. I'll perform the archive first (though Time Machine should already have this data?). But still, how do you delete the contacts from a local drive? And: if you delete these, it sounds like this will delete the iCloud data too; will it?

It is always better to have multiple sources of backups.

Open Contacts, and make sure that you select View>Show Groups. Then the left sidebar will display all sources of data used by your Contacts Application. There should be an "On My Mac" Group. If you delete contacts from that group, they will not be deleted from iCloud.

User uploaded file

Delete all contacts labeled "All on my Mac" from Contacts (desktop)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.