Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

system freeze for - 30 seconds while loaded

Hi!

I have noticed since I have upgraded to High Sierra that I have system freeze for up to 30-45 seconds while there is a load of IO. Even the Pizza wheel froze and I can't move the mouse. With all the Apps open, I know that i'm swapping (usually 2 GIGs).

This is on a MacBook Air 11" early 2015 core I7, 8 Gigs Ram and 512 SSD.

Also this occurs only when I'm at works and my system is running a lot of Apps , including a compilation in Java and one VM (in VMWare).

This never occurs while I'm at home where my usage is lightweight.

I have the following peripherals plugged at work:

- 2 X external HDD (one for VMs and another for TimeMachine)

- 1 DisplayLink USB 3 adapter (NIC + 2 DVI output) connected to two 1080p monitors and network,

- 3 X usb 3 NIC

- Arcam DAC

- Dual-Dvi adapter via the thunderbolt 2 port connect to a 1440p monitors.

I'm a software developer in networking software (the reason of the many NICs). I Know that I abuse my macbook air but I did not have this kind of problem before High Sierra. My next Mac will be a MacBook pro which will be more appropriate with this kind of usage but for now I'd like to fix this issue.

thanks

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 6:27 PM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2017 6:57 PM in response to John Galt

Today it happened three times. Each time I was not compiling, don't know if there was something running in the background or not. I suspect a driver issue to lock without the mouse moving, it must be very low level i think.

Monday, I will run the activity monitor on all the time to see the load if it happens again.

Thanks

system freeze for - 30 seconds while loaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.