Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's hbpix?

Hi, so this morning, my computer worked perfectly and there's no file downloaded in my Mac. But after I put it to sleep, this afternoon, I logged in and I saw a file that has been instantly downloaded called hbpix

Before I put my Mac to sleep, there's no file downloaded. And then after I logged back in, there's a file called hbpix right in front of my eyes.

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 10:54 PM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2017 9:08 AM in response to The_Old_Man

Hello Old Man,

That is because that is all it is - just a grey pixel. It is a spy pixel used in ads. For some reason, whoever is serving this file in their ad network has their server misconfigured. Instead of putting a single, imperceptible grey pixel on your screen, it is downloading the pixel as a file. It's harmless.

See this thread for additional information: hbpix virus removal? (hbpix.dms file)

Nov 17, 2017 8:57 AM in response to The_Old_Man

No way to know whether they all will have this. I've only seen it a few times, but google searches point to ads as the primary culprit.

There's no mention of it being malicious in anything I've found. And it just seems to be an error with how the ads are coded and displayed.

No indication of any maliciousness in it either, though some websites claim its a virus and offer tools to remove it, its not really malicious in and of itself, and those websites offering removal should be ignored as well.

It's just a gif image file that some ads may use to track visits and clicks on themselves. Quite normal for ads to do.

The only abnormal thing is it being automatically downloaded, but that may just be due to some incorrect header info.

There's nothing really dangerous about it at this point.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antivirus/comments/6ubowp/hbpix_what_is/

What's hbpix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.