Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I Trash broken aliases that now appear when I do a Finder Toolbar search?

My MBP running macOS High Sierra, the most recent version, has an external HD with nearly 2TB of files on it.

Something happened to the HD while I was stashing new downloaded items into folders on the HD, and putting others in the Trash. Using Spotlight, I can successfully search the HD for folders and finders. But not using Finder.

When I open the Finder window, I can see all the folders and files on the HD. But when I search for specific folders and files using the spyglass box on the Finder Toolbar, for a brief moment I can see the file icons, then I get a whole lot of broken aliases showing up as question marks ("?"), but no files or folders.

I can't "fix" these apparently broken aliases, because the original files and folders to which they pertain aren't identified in the error message. But I can't Trash them, either. The broken aliases refuse to be deleted. Not even the killer app "Trash It!" can finish them off.

I've tried the old trick of using System Preferences->Spotlight->Privacy, adding, subtracting, and then re-adding folders and files, expecting Spotlight to rebuild the HD structure and remove the broken aliases -- but that hasn't worked, either.

Any ideas how to remove the broken aliases? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Apple User Since 1981

Posted on

Page content loaded

There are no replies.
User profile for user: Bob Jacobson

Question: How do I Trash broken aliases that now appear when I do a Finder Toolbar search?