Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I Trash broken aliases that now appear when I do a Finder Toolbar search?

My MBP running macOS High Sierra, the most recent version, has an external HD with nearly 2TB of files on it.

Something happened to the HD while I was stashing new downloaded items into folders on the HD, and putting others in the Trash. Using Spotlight, I can successfully search the HD for folders and finders. But not using Finder.

When I open the Finder window, I can see all the folders and files on the HD. But when I search for specific folders and files using the spyglass box on the Finder Toolbar, for a brief moment I can see the file icons, then I get a whole lot of broken aliases showing up as question marks ("?"), but no files or folders.

I can't "fix" these apparently broken aliases, because the original files and folders to which they pertain aren't identified in the error message. But I can't Trash them, either. The broken aliases refuse to be deleted. Not even the killer app "Trash It!" can finish them off.

I've tried the old trick of using System Preferences->Spotlight->Privacy, adding, subtracting, and then re-adding folders and files, expecting Spotlight to rebuild the HD structure and remove the broken aliases -- but that hasn't worked, either.

Any ideas how to remove the broken aliases? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), Apple User Since 1981

Posted on Nov 16, 2017 11:43 PM

There are no replies.

How do I Trash broken aliases that now appear when I do a Finder Toolbar search?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.