Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Huge audio latency ATV4 to Airplay

Hello,

I have 5 to 6 seconds of audio latency when streaming audio via Airplay from the Apple TV 4 (not 4K) to a Bose SoundTouch 30 via Airplay. The latency happens when I stream music via iPhone and iTunes Music. So the issue appears to be at the switch/router level.

The softwares are updated.

ATV is connected to the internet via ethernet cable CAT7. This is the chain: internet fibre -> provider modem/wifi router -> via CAT7 to Netgear gigabit ethernet switch -> ATV

Bose SoundTouch is via WiFi streamed by the internet provider modem/router (I'm with TIM Fiber in Italy, 200MB at my door).

I didn't have that latency neither with a portable wifi modem.

What could be the issue?

macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on

Nov 17, 2017 5:05 AM in response to Riccardo Corbari In response to Riccardo Corbari

Hi. When you AirPlay the audio from Apple TV, several steps must happen in sequence:

- Apple TV collects audio stream into packets, sends them to ethernet switch.

- switch forwards packet to router

- router transfers packet from ethernet to WiFi

- router sends packet to Bose

- Bose unpacks packets, buffers audio, and plays audio stream.

None of those steps respects the desire that the audio sync with the video being reproduced by Apple TV. You are involving the router in streaming the music as well, so that adds more activity to this chain.

See if you can remove some of these steps.

See if there are any router settings that could improve this.

Nov 17, 2017 5:05 AM

Reply Helpful

Dec 1, 2017 6:19 AM in response to Diana.McCall In response to Diana.McCall

Hello, thanks and sorry for my late reply but I didn't get any notification of your post.

I already tried to bypass almost everything. I used another WiFi router (Asus AC87U) directly connected to the ethernet port of my modem, and I linked both ATV and Bose to this WiFi network.

I still have the huge latency.

I also have latency streaming music from iTunes Music on my iPhone to the Bose, both on WiFi.

Dec 1, 2017 6:19 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Riccardo Corbari

Question: Huge audio latency ATV4 to Airplay