Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install High Sierra

After downloading High Sierra to my iMac (which takes around 1 hour) I select the hard drive to install it on and a message on screen says calculating installation time. After a few minutes I get a black screen with a white circle with a white diagonal line through it (no entry sign) Restarting using command + R and selecting reinstall Mac OS Sierra works fine all back to how it was. Apple support do not have an answer for this issue, anyone had the same problem and hopefully a fix.thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 3:04 AM

18 replies

Nov 17, 2017 3:49 AM in response to macsync3

So the white circle with the white line through it is a sign to say the install could not find a valid file system. Before doing any upgrades or OS updates it is wise to run Disk Utilities First Aid to check for any directory/ disk errors.

However you managed to restore your mac to Sierra, so hopefully you will now be able to install High Sierra.

Before you upgrade please check that any third party apps you use are compatible with High Sierra, https://roaringapps.com/ and also check to see if any printers/ scanners or other hardware you use with your mac has updates to drivers or software available for High Sierra.

Nov 17, 2017 5:51 AM in response to macsync3

High Sierra should install on a fusion drive, it just won't be able to use the APFS file system so will just keep the HFS+ filesystem we've all been using for years.

Can you have a look in your Application folder fo Install macOS High Sierra.app, make sure it is about 5.12Gbs, if you find it you could then download this, http://diskmakerx.com/ and make a bootable USB installer. This will ave you having to keep on downloading via the App Store. If you can't see the installer app you will need to download from the App Store once again, when the installer starts just quit and then make a copy of the install app and the bootable USB.

One booted from the USB select Macintosh HD (or whatever you have called your Sierra disk) and see how it goes.

Dec 24, 2017 1:43 AM in response to Eau Rouge

I have an early 2011 15” MacBook Pro. It had some main board parts replaced a couple years ago in the unofficial hardware defect that caused solder connections to fail over time from heat stress. When I apply this latest OS upgrade, it fails and causes a no boot situation as described above. I have to restore from a TimeMachine backup to repair. Any suggestions? I’m assuming the firmware of whatever hardware got replaced is the source of conflict.

Unable to install High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.