Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS: how to set a default text editor for the Files app?

In the Files app (IOS 11), when I tap on a plain text document, it opens in 1Writer (a pretty good plain text editor I have installed on my iPad). Although I‘m fine with that choice, I was wondering if and where the default text editing app could be changed (I know that I can use the share button but this requires extra taps and swipes). I can find nothing in the IOS settings and only an empty internet on this. Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 1:44 AM

2 replies

Nov 19, 2017 11:06 AM in response to kaidoh

Hi. The file associations in iOS are not configurable. When you install an app, it identifies the types it accepts. This determines the apps you see when you tap the Share icon for a given file. The app selected by Files is likely the first or last one installed that can accept the file type. See if your editor is first or last in the Share list. You might try turning off other apps in the Share list (tap More), and see if that changes the default for Files. Otherwise, all you can do is try removing/installing apps.

IOS: how to set a default text editor for the Files app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.