Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: High Sierra stuck at copying (large) files

Whenever I try to copy or move a large folder / large files from iCloud to an external HD, High Sierra gets stuck on 'Calculating time remaining' (in Dutch: 'Resterende tijd berekenen') and never actually starts the copying / moving process. Stuck forever in preparing the action.

Anyone else with this issue and/or any solutions?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), Mac Pro (late 2013)

Posted on

Page content loaded

Nov 17, 2017 3:54 AM in response to Eau Rouge In response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge,

Thanks for the reply and offering a solution. My original post was unclear, as I realize now. The issue is not so much downloading from online iCloud, as moving files from the 'offline' iCloud folder on my Mac, to an external HD. The files / folders themselves are actually all on a local HD, so to speak.

Nov 17, 2017 3:54 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 4:03 AM in response to Asteroids.nl In response to Asteroids.nl

Check that the files are actually on your disk and not just alias's to your online iCloud folder.

Also test that the function works with another selection of files and folders you have on your mac and see if they copy over to your external hard drive without issue.

Nov 17, 2017 4:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Nov 20, 2017 12:46 PM in response to Eau Rouge In response to Eau Rouge

Hi Eau Rouge,

Thanks again for the reply and suggestions. It turned out to be one specific folder that had issues, so far.

No alias's, all very much local files. Still, a mystery why it did not want to copy, but I used a trick to circumvent the problem. (Copy it to an external HD from another computer and then to the other computer/disk.)

Hope it does not turn up again...

Nov 20, 2017 12:46 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Asteroids.nl

Question: High Sierra stuck at copying (large) files