Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeMachine backups

I've just used my TimeMachine to migrate the backed up data from my 21.5" iMac, to my new 27" iMac. I want to continue using it to back up my new computer, but it says there is insufficient space to do so. How do I get my new iMac to over-write the older backups and continue as before? If formatting it, and beginning again is the best way, please describe how I go about it. All the necessary data, has been transferred, and I don't need any of the old backups.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB DDR4

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 2:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2017 2:03 AM

The option to use the old backup for the new computer is probably gone.. and it does not work particularly well or reliably anyway.

I hate to recommend you wipe your Time Capsule.. which is the device you are talking about.. Time Machine being the software to backup on the computer.

You can open airport utility.. click on the icon of the Time Capsule and click edit on the summary page.

Then click the disk tab.

User uploaded file

You have option to archive the TC to a USB drive Mac HFS+ formatted disk plugged into the TC of equal or more capacity than the data on the drive.. or same size as the disk in it.

That will take a few hours if you do it. So start before you go to sleep and it should finish within 10-24hours.

The Erase Disk option will format the drive.. there is a quick erase option.

User uploaded file

That will remove all files from your TC disk.. it will take just a couple of minutes to run.

Or you can delete the files from finder in the normal way.. that is now very fast too..

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2017 2:03 AM in response to clivefromcape town

The option to use the old backup for the new computer is probably gone.. and it does not work particularly well or reliably anyway.

I hate to recommend you wipe your Time Capsule.. which is the device you are talking about.. Time Machine being the software to backup on the computer.

You can open airport utility.. click on the icon of the Time Capsule and click edit on the summary page.

Then click the disk tab.

User uploaded file

You have option to archive the TC to a USB drive Mac HFS+ formatted disk plugged into the TC of equal or more capacity than the data on the drive.. or same size as the disk in it.

That will take a few hours if you do it. So start before you go to sleep and it should finish within 10-24hours.

The Erase Disk option will format the drive.. there is a quick erase option.

User uploaded file

That will remove all files from your TC disk.. it will take just a couple of minutes to run.

Or you can delete the files from finder in the normal way.. that is now very fast too..

TimeMachine backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.