Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't rotation text

I can not rotate the text in a table cell by 90 degrees. It's don't work in pages or numbers. Why button (circle with a dot) don't active?????User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I use last version Pages 6.3.1, macOS Sierra 10.12.6

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 2:38 AM

10 replies

Nov 17, 2017 5:57 AM in response to Dr.Alimov

Dr.Alimov wrote:

it's not like solving a problem.

looks like idiocy

A description that could be applied to the massive User Interface nonsense that applies to most of what Apple has pushed on macOS and the “new” “improved” “contextual” Apps Apple has forced on its users in the last four years.

I have almost given up even trying to explain to Apple employees why so much of what Apple has done lately is simply ludicrously bad and destructive. I never thought I would 34 years after the Mac revolutionised computing have to explain to an uncomprehending Apple why its own UI guidelines made emininent good sense and were at the heart of why the Mac was so productive.

Nearly everything you see touted as new and improved is nothing of the sort it is mostly just slapping bows and polka dots on Apple’s frocks for the lack of any idea what else to do. Even things that could have been a leap forward like universal spellchecking and auto-correction have been implemented so badly that it has become a huge leap backwards. Even here I am endlessly fighting the “corrections”.

Apple has focused nearly all is attention on iOS and macOS seems to just be for the badly trained second string interns, who have been screwing up everything they can get their hands on.

The author of Tidbits’ huge number of Take Control... books (the manuals Apple refuses to produce now) has said he thought he’d be long ago out of a job as Apple made his books unnecessary, in stead Apple made his books an absolutely essential map to the shambolic craziness that has taken over.

As Windows, Android and Linux progress, macOS regresses.

Peter

Nov 17, 2017 2:04 PM in response to Dr.Alimov

"…why make this button which you can not use?"

You can use it, but only to rotate objects (not including Tables).

Text in a table cell, and the cell itself cannot be rotated. A shape or a text box can contain text, and can be rotated. Rotating the container will also rotate the text, hence Yellowbox's suggestion above.

Regards,

Barry

Nov 17, 2017 5:17 PM in response to Barry

Barry that is the failure of the supposedly contextual User Interface that they created around Pages 5 and now 6.

The only object selected is a Table which Apple won't let you rotate in Pages 5 and 6 (but you could in Pages '09).

You can't rotate text or cells so what is it it doing there "contextually"?

If it is neither fish nor fowl why do "contextual" unless you have no idea what that means and can't design your way out of a wet paper bag?

Peter

I can't rotation text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.