Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video loops many times during replay

Since iOS 11 I have problems with videos using Safari/Firefox/Opera on YouTube or online TV-stations (replay of past shows). Same problem comes up when playing videos locally from NAS or stored on my very iPad Pro 12.9“ bought in 2017. using the music.app or video.app. I have just upgraded from iOS 10.3.3 to iOS 11.1.1

During replay I get randomly every 5-20 minutes stuck in a loop. Sometimes it’s just once or twice. Sometimes it runs permanently. If I move replay manually it may work. But sometimes it still goes back. Example: Loop begins at 500 second. I move to 510 … it works or it jumps back to 500. Even moving to 600 or 700 or nearly to the end it may jump back to 500.

Regarding the videos I cannot see a common factor. It happens with QuickTime movies as well as with MP4. It also happens with flash- and with html5-videos. First I thought that markers in videos may cause the problem - but also videos I took with my iPad i.e. without any marker are affected. Also - after opening a particular video several times it the seconds where loop start and their occurrences are always different.

Doing he same on my other iPad with iOS 10.3 or iPod touch and exactly the same sources causes no problem at all.

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 1:46 AM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2017 1:55 PM in response to curly41

Hey there, curly41.

It appears that you're experiencing an issue playing videos many different types and ways. They'll loop back to a specific spot. Sometimes they finish, and sometimes they don't. I'm happy to help.

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- First, restart your iPad. Once it's returned to the Home screen, test the issue.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch -- If restarting your iPad didn't resolve the issue, please be sure to have a fresh backup to keep your personal information safe. In order to back up your Health data, the backup needs to be encrypted. iCloud does this automatically, but iTunes doesn't. If you'd like to use iTunes to back up your iPad, refer to this article: About encrypted backups in iTunes

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch -- Even though the title of the article isn't specific to your issue, the section titled "Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again" will walk you through all the steps to reinstall the iOS software on your device.

Let me know how that goes.

Take care!

Nov 18, 2017 3:45 AM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

restart did not work. Yet the kind of loop is now - after restart - smoother. What this means is that there is no flicker during the split-second of jumping back but it rather looks and sound now as if it is normal. This time I let the loop run without interfering. It took 8 loops then it continued for some minutes to the next loop.

The catch with setting up my iPad from scratch: I have some family videos on my iPad which I changed in iTunes under "options" to music videos. That allows to organize them better than with the option of normal videos. The drive with the original files crashed. So if I installed from scratch I would loose all personal stuff. Why - because I would start with an empty media folder. As a consequence, the moment I do a backup iTunes will copy the "empty" mediafolder to the iPad. All personal videos are gone.

Apple does not offer an option to copy files back to the MacBook. If I download for example a PDF I can get it back to my MacBook - even if it it not there. I have received suggestions how to copy those files from iPad back to my MacBook using online services or third party apps. Yet I do not know the companies who offer theses option. So its a question of trusting.

Are you familiar with this kind of challenge? Is there really no option from Apple or recovery software I can buy through the AppStore? By the way, I could also use a windows PC = I believe that is was in the past possible to connect from a PC to an iPad and mounting/treating the iPad as an external hard drive. Do you know if this is still true?

Video loops many times during replay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.