Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up a new iMac and closing down an old one

I've just purchased a new iMac which I am very excited about 🙂

I have a time machine backup from my existing, soon to be "old" iMac and want to know that if I use that as part of my setup whether it will bring across all of my applications e.g. MSOffice for Mac.

I also want to give my "old" iMac to my daughter so want to take all of my data off it to clear up some space. Can I do that by deleting my profile i.e. will it remove all of the files under my user name.

Finally, my new iMac does not have a CD drive but occassionaly I need to access a CD. My macbook has one so can I link across to my Macbook CD drive if I need to. I would prefer not to have to purchase another CD drive.

Any help and tips on this would be helpful.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 8:25 AM

If your daughter is of age, then it is best to do as the article instructs. That way she can set it up as her own and access the Mac App Store, iTunes Store and other personal macOS features using her personal ID.

If she is not of age, then you can delete the bulk of your data after setting up your new computer, setup a separate account for her and keep yourself as the administrator.

see > macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 8:25 AM in response to pfaepeebles

If your daughter is of age, then it is best to do as the article instructs. That way she can set it up as her own and access the Mac App Store, iTunes Store and other personal macOS features using her personal ID.

If she is not of age, then you can delete the bulk of your data after setting up your new computer, setup a separate account for her and keep yourself as the administrator.

see > macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

Nov 17, 2017 8:23 AM in response to pfaepeebles

Well, it may not appear to be necessary to you; but, to expand on den.thed's correct reply: the problem is that any OS or app that has been downloaded from the app store is a) tied to your Apple ID (which means your daughter will not be able to update apps or reinstall the OS) and b) the license is NOT transferable. So, in order to comply with Apple's licensing agreement, you do need to erase the Mac while in internet recovery (or do so using the original install media) and then reinstalling the original OS. Your daughter can then upgrade the OS using her own Apple ID.

Setting up a new iMac and closing down an old one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.