Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

touch bar sliders broken since High Sierra

Hi,

I like to configure my touch bar (control strip) to include the two sliders for brightness and volume like that:

User uploaded file

When I press these buttons, the corresponding sliders appear:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

After recent update to High Sierra, the appearance of those two sliders changed:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This makes the sliders unusable, because they are too short. I found a workaround, this is I add 5 buttons to the control strip which I do not need:

User uploaded file

Now the sliders are displayed correct again. But I don't want these 5 buttons, because they use space in the touch bar that I want to use different and anyway, their step size is too big for my needs. I need to use just the sliders. What do I do wrong?

Best,

Stefan

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.1), 3,5 GHz i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 4:41 AM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2017 6:20 PM in response to Vorderobermayer

Hello Vorderobermayer,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with your Touch Bar. I am happy to check this out with you.

I recommend trying this in safe mode and a test user. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes is all that is necessary to correct some problems.

When you boot to safe mode, log in to your account and check if the issue is also occurring in safe mode or not. Use this article for the steps to get into safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If everything is working properly in safe mode, but then is not working again after you restart the Mac, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

If the issue is also happening in safe mode, then move on to see if this problem occurs in another test administrator user account on your Mac. A test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide. Please check this help article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

After you are done testing, please check the section related to results, titled "If the issue happens in the other account" or "If the issue doesn't happen in the other account".

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Nov 18, 2017 12:13 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi,

thanks for the answer. I created a second admin account, which experiences the same problem. I also booted with shift key pressed and a message about safe mode was visible. The problem still persisted.

In your answer you didn't mention that the problem arised immediately after the update to High Sierra. Wouldn't it be obvious to check if someone else experiences the same problem? All you have to do is to remove the +- volume/brightness controls from the touch bar (i. e. 2 blocks with 5 buttons in total) and only use the buttons that trigger the two sliders (for volume and brightness).

Best,

Stefan

touch bar sliders broken since High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.