Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My fcpx would 'overwrite' the clips on timeline instead of inserting by default. How do I change it?

Hi,

As you all know, fcpx would 'insert' your selected clip by making room and delete the gap when you drag the clip onto the timeline between other clips. Same applies when you try to move a clip to another position, between other clips.

This was what I experienced with fcpx so far. I would just drag and insert the clip between two clips without overwriting them.

But at certain point, - I don't know what I did accidentally- it 'overwrites' the existing clips on timeline when I try to insert a clip by dragging it. It inserts only when I put a clip down by clicking insert icon or pressing 'W'. It's frustrating because I can insert by pressing W only when I drag down a clip from the browser, not when I want to move a clip already on timeline.

Can anybody figure out why it would overwrite timeline as default instead of inserting? How can I change it?

suan

Message was edited by: steyerl

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.1, null

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2017 5:14 AM

Make sure that you have the "Select" tool (aka the "Arrow" tool) active, instead of the "Position" tool.

The shortcut is the letter A, and you can visually check by looking at the top of the timeline:

Position tool active:

User uploaded file

Arrow tool active:

User uploaded file

Tool selection Menu (note the shortcuts "A" and "P"):

User uploaded file

2 replies

My fcpx would 'overwrite' the clips on timeline instead of inserting by default. How do I change it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.