Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I PREVENT my iPad updating itself without my permission?

iPad Mini Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:58 AM

My iOS devices have never updated on their own. I suggest that you are inadvertently allowing the update to occur and you don’t realize it. At some point, after the uninstalled software downloads, you will get a pop up message asking if you want to install now, or defer it until later when it is connected to power. If you select the later option without realizing it, then it will update in the evening while connected to power while charging.

iOS Devices will not update without user input.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 6:58 AM in response to 6ixslinger

My iOS devices have never updated on their own. I suggest that you are inadvertently allowing the update to occur and you don’t realize it. At some point, after the uninstalled software downloads, you will get a pop up message asking if you want to install now, or defer it until later when it is connected to power. If you select the later option without realizing it, then it will update in the evening while connected to power while charging.

iOS Devices will not update without user input.

Nov 17, 2017 8:51 AM in response to Demo

Thank you, Demo. So, the trick is to not charge it while I'm not watching.

I still think there ought to be another install prompt waiting when I bring it out of standby.

As it is, what I'm presented with is a device that has updated itself without my permission, rendering it useless until after I log in and set it all up again.

Nov 17, 2017 9:52 AM in response to 6ixslinger

Hi 6ixslinger. You don't have to set the iPad up anew after an update. If you experience a request to re-activate the device, it looks like initial setup, but it's only a few steps.

I do agree with Demo, that you have the option to continually decline the update. But the sense of that "later" option may be (intentionally) misleading, although it is described in the details of the prompt.

Nov 21, 2017 3:00 AM in response to Demo

That is not true is it? We should always be honest shouldn’t we?

Fact is that every device running iOS will download an update of the operating system without any prompting at all. I just noticed the latest one 11.02 taking up 101.7mb of space in my storage & I didn’t download it myself.

What it doesn’t do is install the update without being told but the question was -How do you stop the download not the installation. Presumably the installation wouldn’t happen without the annoying unasked for download?

Nov 21, 2017 4:42 AM in response to Mattcais

The original question was how do I prevent my iPad from updating without my permssion. The true and correct answer is that it will never, ever update on its own. It will download the software automatically on its own, but it will not install the iOS software without user input. You must give the software permission to install.

That is a fact.

Nov 21, 2017 7:30 AM in response to Demo

Here is what I experienced: I was using the iPad one day and set it to standby when I was done. The next day I expected to bring it out of standby and continue where I left off, only to discover that the device had installed an iOS update that presumably it had downloaded earlier (without my knowledge). I couldn't do what I had intended to do until after I had gone through all the rigmarole of signing into iCloud and answering all the prompts to tell the device how I wanted to use it. I do remember the day before dismissing an update prompt by selecting "Later", but I was under the impression that it would not perform an update later unless I entered my PIN at the prompt, which I did not do. Apparently, I was mistaken, and there is no way to prevent this other than leaving the device off the charger when it's in standby. I don't appreciate paying to be a beta tester, especially considering my experience with the latest iOS 11 update I agreed to on my iPhone (my mistake) that's buggy as ****. I wish there were a way to roll back to a stable version.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.