Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 15" trackpad irresponsive when turning it on or waking up

Four month old MacBook Pro in perfect state started presenting issues with the trackpad when opening the lid.

The trackpad would be "stuck" not clicking but the cursor would work and randomly would get back to click normally and function.

Tried as oriented by apple support to reboot in safe mode but it happened twice again after that.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.1)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:22 AM

8 replies

Nov 17, 2017 6:31 AM in response to gradientdescent

There is no way the trackpad could be physically stuck since it’s not an actual button anymore like in older MacBook Pro generations. So either it’s not registering when you press on it (hardware issue), or the software part of macOS dealing with the trackpad ceases working.

Do you see any pattern? Any particular app you’re using while it happens maybe? And what happens when you log out of your user immediately when it happens - does the click work again on the login screen?

Nov 17, 2017 6:51 AM in response to Tim Lorenzen

I tried to update the post but I cannot anymore.

Better description:

The trackpad would be "stuck" not clicking, in the same way when the MBP is off, but the cursor would work and it'd randomly get back to click normally.

It may be more likely software related as the trackpad hardware per se is in perfect state in the sense it works normally when it comes back from being "stuck".

Tried as oriented by apple support to reboot in safe mode with no success having it happened twice again after that. Also as in another post to lightly tap on the back where the trackpad is located in case perhaps any debris could cause it not to work properly, however as this issue happened more times I suspect as said above is a software related issue.

I'm trying to figure it out this issue's reproducibility steps but it happens randomly after a period of idleness when it's off or sleeping with the lid closed.

I recently tried to reset the PRAM and will report back if anything changes.

Feb 3, 2018 6:42 AM in response to gradientdescent

I've experienced something similar on two 13" MBPTBs, one a 2016 and the other a brand-new 2017.

The 2016 was sent to Apple for repair. They replaced the top case and battery but DID NOT cure the problem -- it's definitely software and most likely High Sierra -- started for me in a beta of HS 10.13.3.

A 3-finger tap/touch reliably returns the trackpad to normal function for me.

I've reported the bug several times since mid-December; release version of 10.13.3 didn't fix it.

Doesn't happen after every sleep but happens often; haven't been able to isolate the exact conditions that make it happen (other than wake from sleep).

Feb 15, 2018 5:24 AM in response to gv232

Search this Forum for other posts -- there are several -- on this issue.

Most posters seem to agree that it is a software issue -- there's probably nothing wrong with your hardware -- and that it first appeared with High Sierra. The issue seems to be something to do with the Force Trackpad software because it has mostly been reported on 2016-2017 MacBook Pro models.

I've sent bug reports to Apple and they've asked for more details (back in December) but, so far, no fix has been released. I don't think anyone knows if Apple is actively working on the problem, they aren't very communicative in this forum (or anywhere else).

Several have reported that a 3-finger tap/touch is a temporary work-around to return the trackpad to normal function.

MacBook Pro 2017 15" trackpad irresponsive when turning it on or waking up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.