Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: How do I lock my mac easily

I am really frustrated. Most of the time I do not want my iMac at home to require a password. But sometimes I have visitors or workmen and I do want the screen locked. I used to have this little "padlock" icon in the menu bar that I could click and choose "lock screen". Then you needed the logon password to access. That disappeared and I don't know how to get it back. I am using HighSierra.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Apple menu > Lock Screen

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 6:46 AM in response to SteveShapiro In response to SteveShapiro

In Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1 click on apple logo > again click on lock screen the screen will be locked immediately and on the login screen the admin name and password field will be displayed , without entering the credentials no visitor can enter the computer unless you provide password to them .

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Page content loaded

Question marked as Helpful

Nov 17, 2017 6:46 AM in response to SteveShapiro In response to SteveShapiro

In Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1 click on apple logo > again click on lock screen the screen will be locked immediately and on the login screen the admin name and password field will be displayed , without entering the credentials no visitor can enter the computer unless you provide password to them .

Nov 17, 2017 6:46 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Nov 17, 2017 6:55 AM in response to SteveShapiro In response to SteveShapiro

SteveShapiro wrote:

Actually that seems to turn off the screen but does not activate the lock.

It depends on the "Require password" setting in the General tab of "Security & Privacy" system preference.

Nov 17, 2017 6:55 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: SteveShapiro

Question: How do I lock my mac easily