Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Less than a month old MacBook Pro 2017 lags

So every now and then my MacbBook would lag (it lasts for about 20 seconds before it returns to normal.) It's about 3 weeks old, my desktop has no files displayed, I've got no files in downloads either, all unnecessary files in the trash are deleted, i barely have any documents, I've got 94.02 GB available out of 120.01 GB. I've got no other apps on it besides Skype, Spotify, and Telegram (I downloaded these from their official site), and I also installed Malwarebytes just in case. It started to lag when I was adjusting my brightness, it would adjust at least 1 level every 5 seconds (it took that long.) Earlier today, I had two windows (Safari) open. One window had two tabs open, while the other had 3. One of them being Google Docs. I figured the source of the lag was the doc but I didn't have any windows open when the first lag had occurred.

Is this normal? I was so excited to get a Mac but after experiencing this, maybe not so much

Specs (if needed):

processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 13-inch 2017

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 6:47 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2017 12:25 PM in response to sawjones

For future reference, the reason option is just to let us know what problem you experience, it doesn’t change the test. Also, once finished you can copy and paste the text, you don’t have to take screen shots.

i don’t see anything BUT in the second test WebKit was running heavy and I see WebKit has had high cpu use in the past. your problem may be safari/website related. IN utilities folder there’s a program called Activity Monitor. It would be helpful for you to keep it open with the CPU tab selected so you can keep an eye on what processes are running hot when the computer lags. Mostly processes will remain below 12% with occasional spikes that last a second or two at most. To see a process running around 20% for more than a couple seconds would be suspicious.

to be clear, what you experience isn’t normal even for a much older slower computer running today’s newest OS

Less than a month old MacBook Pro 2017 lags

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.