Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airport Extreme 1st Gen

Updated to 10.13 just now and I'm no longer able to manage my Airport Extreme running Airport Utility 5.6.1. 10.13 has been out for a couple of months now and was hoping someone had updated the old program or tell me how to do it. The following message comes up:

sh: line 2: cd: /Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility 5.6.1.app/Contents/MacOS: No such file or directory

sh: line 3: ./AirPort Utility: No such file or directory

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 15" MBP (late 2013)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:27 AM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2017 8:23 AM in response to Road Hazard

Let's first make sure that you really do have a 1st Generation AirPort Extreme.

Please look on the bottom of the AirPort Extreme for the model number. It might be embedded in the foam pad base.....starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

A 1st Gen AirPort Extreme is model number A 1143. As long as you have updated the firmware on the AirPort Extreme, the current 6.x version of AirPort Utility can be used to administer the AirPort Extreme. I am doing this right now when I check with an older AirPort Extreme that I retired 5+ years ago.

User uploaded file

However, if you have an even older "round" or "dome" shaped AirPort Extreme, this model was offered before Apple began to use the "Generation" naming on AirPorts in 2007. In this case, you will likely see A 1034 as the model number. This version is not compatible with the current 6.x versions of AirPort Utility.

User uploaded file

A 5.x version of AirPort Utility will be needed to administer the 10+ year old AirPort. Unfortunately, Apple does not officially support this unless you have an older Mac running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x) operating systems, or you have or can borrow a PC that has AirPort Utility 5.6.1 for Windows installed on the device.

We cannot discuss things on this forum that are not officially supported by Apple, but you might be able to find some information about other methods on the Internet using a search term like "Install AirPort Utility on High Sierra".

Unfortunately, most methods offer no help in the event of problems, and you will likely have to lower the default security settings on your Mac to even try to install the software, if you decide to try this.

Nov 17, 2017 8:39 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. Mine is indeed the dome/flying saucer model and has 'Airport Extreme' printed below the indicator lamps. The device is still working, it's just I'm unable to manage it. Can sign in to it ok, just unable to bring up it's preferences, etc. Everything worked fine right up to the 10.13 upgrade due to hack programs made available.

Noticed a number of vendors are lagging behind in their updates for 10.13 compatibility, namely Micromat. Many people still running the older wireless devices; I still have the very first Airport (graphite) put away in the closet after sending it off to get capacitors replaced during the infamous 'capacitor malfunction'.

Nov 17, 2017 9:06 AM in response to Road Hazard

High Sierra added new security to the operating system, and recent updates for High Sierra have added even more. This may likely be what is preventing the installation of unauthorized software.

Surely, you have a friend with a PC laptop that would be willing to help you out for 10-15 minutes to adjust settings on the old A 1034 model. If that is not possible, it is still possible to install Windows on a Mac and then install AirPort Utility for Windows.

The bottom line here is that you really don't have an AirPort Extreme issue......you have a question about installing unauthorized software on Mac High Sierra. Some of the gurus over in the High Sierra support forum might have some ideas for you, if you want to try that angle.

Good luck!

Apple Airport Extreme 1st Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.