Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After carrier settings update, can't connect to cellular network

On Tuesday afternoon (11/14/2017) itunes notified me that the carrier settings on my iPhone 6+ needed to be updated. It updated them to AT&T 30.1 and since then, my phone has been unable to connect to AT&T via cellular. Tried all the standard stuff: restart, switch to airplane mode and back, hard reset, turn off LTE, etc. no change. The only way I am able to connect is if I am on wifi and I turn on the wifi calling function.

I Contacted AT&T, on Wednesday morning, and they went through the standard stuff again with no change. They thought that maybe the new carrier update isn't playing nice with the SIM and advised me to take it to one of their stores to swap SIM cards to see if that would fix it. The store swapped in a SIM from a working phone and the problem stayed with the phone. When he put my SIM in a different phone, the SIM worked. So the problem doesn't seem to be with the SIM.

I contacted AT&T a second time to report that the problem was not corrected with a SIM and they went through a little more trouble shooting before saying that the phone would need to be replaced/warrantied. They also claimed that the carrier setting update is Apple's responsibility and then transferred me to Apple's tech support.

Talking with Apple, he had me try a few more things, and suggested restoring the phone as a new iphone and if that didn't fix it, then it is likely that the carrier settings are the problem. Apple then claimed that the carrier settings are the carrier's responsibility.

Of course, restoring the phone didn't fix it. I've since went ahead and restored the phone from a back-up and am back at square one.

This creates a problem, since both companies tech support seem to agree that the carrier settings are the issue, but also claim that the other company is responsible for the carrier settings issue.

I am stuck in the middle with a phone that was hamstrung by someone else's software.

So ultimately the questions are:

1. Has anyone else run into this before and how was it rectified?

2. Who actually is responsible for the carrier settings?

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 8:00 AM

4 replies

Nov 17, 2017 9:30 AM in response to Electron2002

Electron2002 wrote:

I Contacted AT&T, on Wednesday morning, and they went through the standard stuff again with no change. They thought that maybe the new carrier update isn't playing nice with the SIM and advised me to take it to one of their stores to swap SIM cards to see if that would fix it. The store swapped in a SIM from a working phone and the problem stayed with the phone. When he put my SIM in a different phone, the SIM worked. So the problem doesn't seem to be with the SIM.

I agree with razmee209.

The only thing I can add is to have your SIM card tray holder checked.

Regards

Giulio

Jan 5, 2018 9:38 AM in response to Electron2002

I've had the exact same problem. Everything you explained is exactly what I went through. Only difference is that my cellular provider is Verizon. This is not a Verizon or AT&T problem. This is an Apple issue. I've been on the phone with apple for 30 minutes this morning trying to resolve the issue. I've restored the phone back to factory settings without a backup restore. I'll be testing the device over the next few days to see if this fixes the issue. So far everything is working properly...only problem is that I'm being prompted to update carrier settings again. smh. Also, I can't use my most recent backup due to the issue. Not sure what's to follow, but if you find a permanent solution please advise.

Jan 5, 2018 9:46 AM in response to razmee209

With all due respect, this is not a carrier issue; I have Verizon and the same thing happened. Everything is exactly as he explained it, even down to the swapping of SIM cards. This is not a carrier issue, this is an Apple issue. Verizon assured me that it was on the Apple side (naturally), but to prove it, they installed another SIM card into my phone from a different phone...It still showed the same thing. If it were a carrier problem, the other person's SIM card (which came directly out of a phone that was functioning properly, with no service problems) would have functioned properly in my phone; as it were, there was no change and the phone showed the same "No Service" in top left of phone screen.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.