Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Play / Pause Transport Keys no longer work system wide.

I used to be able to use the transport keys, F7, F8, F9 system wide to operate iTunes regardless of what program I was using. Now I have to go back to iTunes to use them - making the keys essentially pointless. Is this a bug and if so is there a fix for it?

MacOS 10.13.1

iTunes 12.7.1.14

Magic Keyboard

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 8:55 AM

2 replies

Nov 20, 2017 6:11 PM in response to Anthony Sbarro

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Community. I understand you've had some trouble using transport keys on your Mac, and I have some information that may help.

In cases like this, it may be helpful to test the issue in both safe mode and a new user account. Doing so will help to isolate the issue to a startup item, or a user specific issue. Safe mode may also help resolve the issue on its own, as it clears some cached items.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

If you run into any trouble, please reach out again.
​Best Regards.

Play / Pause Transport Keys no longer work system wide.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.