Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increasing speed of iMac

I doubled my memory several years go but never noticed any difference. Is there a way of increasing my speed? I'm talking about a part that I could install.

Safari 11.0.1-OTHER

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 9:17 AM

19 replies

Nov 17, 2017 10:55 AM in response to Niku

Although adding memory to a Mac is almost always beneficial, lots of people install more without justification and that's just a waste of money.

It's very easy to determine if a Mac's performance is being constrained by available memory. Please refer to Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support. If the "Memory Pressure" graph is frequently "red" your Mac would benefit from additional memory. If not, it won't. It's that simple.

If you want to install more memory refer to the Memory Upgrade Instructions in About This Mac > Memory.

Nov 17, 2017 10:10 AM in response to KiltedTim

I might add that I once had the fastest Internet service available from my ISP, but when I experimented with a lower, and cheaper, speed, I could detect absolutely no difference. I settled for the slower, and cheaper, speed. Also, as I have mentioned, increasing the Memory from 4 to 8 GB made no difference that I could tell. I have noticed that there seems to be some overlapping, blurring, and confusion between the terms RAM and memory. What do YOU mean by RAM? Since I have already said that an increase in memory made no difference, I have to think that we're talking about different things. Will your RAM make a difference? Oh, I have no idea what an SSD is. Can I install one in my iMac? The EtreCheck report will follow.

I almost forgot. The main problem that I now have with my computer is accessing links, or moving from one part of a website to another. That's where and when I have to wait longer than I have become accustomed to.

Nov 17, 2017 10:48 AM in response to Niku

Working memory = RAM. An SSD is a Solid State Disk. No moving parts. Much faster than a traditional rotational hard drive.

If the biggest issue you're seeing is "accessing links" then either there is something interfering with the process of retrieving content from the Internet, or your Internet connection is just plain too slow.

Etrecheck will help isolate any issues on the machine itself.

Nov 17, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Oh, so that's how you do it. It works just like Mac's Clipboard, which I always forget how to use. No wonder I was having so much trouble. I've often thought of pasting the instructions for using Clipboard on my computer so that I would be able to use it when it's forced upon me. Maybe i'll do it this time. I HATE CLIPBOARD. Anyway, I finally got the file her by using Dropbox.

Nov 17, 2017 2:23 PM in response to Niku

Niku wrote:

Oh, so that's how you do it. It works just like Mac's Clipboard, which I always forget how to use. No wonder I was having so much trouble. I've often thought of pasting the instructions for using Clipboard on my computer so that I would be able to use it when it's forced upon me. Maybe i'll do it this time. I HATE CLIPBOARD. Anyway, I finally got the file her by using Dropbox.

Here's the cheat sheet: Control-V for copy, Control-P for paste.

Nov 17, 2017 2:43 PM in response to KiltedTim

Thanks. I didn't see anything like that, but I'll look again; however, based upon the speed readings I got, I don't think that's the problem. There are two other possibilities, though: the Browser and the Website. Just today I had a problem that disappeared when I used another Browser, and the worst such problem I ever had (it lasted more than a year before I learned the cause) was caused by corruptions in Safari. As to websites, many of them are not what they should be.

Increasing speed of iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.