Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers files do not open after iOS 11.1.1

I've been using Numbers on iPhone 6 Plus for a while and have several files that I created about a year ago that I have opened, edited and closed multiple times. After upgrading to iOS 11.1.1, these files will not open. Here are some details:

• Power off/Power on iPhone. No other iPhone apps are running.
  • Open Numbers and it shows file names and date last saved.
  • Click on a file that previously opened and it highlights (verifying that I selected it) but does not open.
  • Click on "Select" (top right) and select the file and try to send it and Numbers locks up and has to be closed manually
  • Click on "Select" (top right) and select the file and try to copy it and message says can't copy because file does not exist.
  • Tried multiple files and all files created before iOS 11.1.1 update cannot be opened.
  • Create new file and it can be opened, edited, closed and re-opened.

It seems that there is some interaction between the new file manager and Numbers that is causing the files to still show up but not open.

Anyone else experience this?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 9:56 AM

Update: Transferring file to PC using iTunes, then creating a copy (with a different name) and adding that file back to the iPhone works. Thanks to other posters for this work around. This demonstrates that the file does in fact exist and that the content is not corrupted since I did not modify the file. Look forward to a real fix.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 9:56 AM in response to Jett63

Update: Transferring file to PC using iTunes, then creating a copy (with a different name) and adding that file back to the iPhone works. Thanks to other posters for this work around. This demonstrates that the file does in fact exist and that the content is not corrupted since I did not modify the file. Look forward to a real fix.

Nov 18, 2017 9:35 AM in response to Jett63

Problem still there in 11.1.2. iPhone 7+ wasn't syncing/backing up in 11.1.1, but a hard reset, 'upgrade' to 11.1.2, and the sync works again. With the sync and workaround you gave, I've got access to my *crucial* numbers files.

Thanks Jett63!!

Apple, SHAME on you. You used to put out products that "just worked." I'm THIS close to Windows-ing your keister!

Numbers files do not open after iOS 11.1.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.