Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you pan in GB 10.2.0?

How do you pan in GB 10.2.0. The usual controls don't work for panning in this newest version. So...how do you do it?

terry

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 10:38 AM

9 replies

Nov 17, 2017 12:26 PM in response to tapper45

tapper45 wrote:

on several tracks (vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards)...some recorded with mic, some direct, some midi. I try to change it via the little [pan] knob,[...] the knob turns, but nothing happens to the pan; only the volume seems to be effected.

if the volume is changing when you change the Pan, it sounds like you're working on a stereo track that has a mono recording (like a mic or guitar). check that the Mono/Stereo button is set to mono for these tracks:

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 2:07 PM in response to tapper45

tapper45 wrote:

several people discuss having problems with the newest version of GB...panning being just one. Have you heard anything like that? Is there any way I can "re-load" GB?

yours is the first report i've read about a panning issue, however even though we use several machines across a couple of studios, none have upgraded macOS past 10.12.5

a thought for a workaround occurs; you might try using the Direction Mixer plug-in for now so that you can get back to work right away. a direction of -90 to +90 is hard left to hard right:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2017 12:06 PM in response to HangTime

Thanks for the response HangTime. And you're right: panning has always worked the same way in the past, but since downloading the latest version, it's not working at all. In this case, I'm working on something recorded over the past several months; I was wanting to improve my original mix on several tracks (vocals, guitars, bass, keyboards)...some recorded with mic, some direct, some midi. Volume works fine; but when I click on the "Automation parameter pop up window" for any particular track, and select "Pan", the pan doesn't change...whether I try to change it via the little knob, or the "automation track" yellow line that runs through each track. The line moves, the knob turns, but nothing happens to the pan; only the volume seems to be effected. Same result on other projects. And I'm VERY frustrated because if I can't pan with GB I'll need to get (and learn) another program. So...what can I do to get my pan back?

Nov 17, 2017 12:23 PM in response to tapper45

but when I click on the "Automation parameter pop up window" for any particular track, and select "Pan", the pan doesn't change...whether I try to change it via the little knob, or the "automation track" yellow line that runs through each track.

it is still not quite clear, sorry. Do you not hear the panned signal from a different position , when you change the or is it not possible to turn the knob from left to right or change the automation curve?

Nov 17, 2017 1:50 PM in response to HangTime

Thanks again for the suggestions, but I just double checked and everything is set to mono; each of the tracks I'm working with was recorded separately...there is nothing in stereo. Again, for what it's worth, everything has been working fine for the past couple years; it's only since downloading the latest iOS (10.12.6) that this problem has appeared. I am using an admittedly ancient Mac, but all has been well until now. Adding to the problem is the fact I am a dinosaur and very un-tech...which is why I use GB...it's always been very user-friendly for folks like me in the past.

Meanwhile, I've Googled the issue and found a couple of sites where several people discuss having problems with the newest version of GB...panning being just one. Have you heard anything like that? Is there any way I can "re-load" GB?

How do you pan in GB 10.2.0?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.