Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac late 2009 load OS on new hard drive

I have an iMac 21.5" late 2009. Yesterday, I replaced the dying Seagate hard drive with a new Seagate Hybrid (SSD/HDD). There was no OS on the drive. I created a startup file on a 8GB USB jump drive with DiskMaker X to load up El Capitan upon startup. I held down "option" key as the computer booted. At first, there was a flickering gray screen with the apple logo and the "loading bar." Then a BLACK SCREEN. The flicker was strange. Maybe I didn't reconnect the LCD ribbon well enough? Anyway, tried again. Repeated steps. And this time, I got a white screen with a flickering gray logo and "loading bar." Then BLACK SCREEN. Tried again, but this time held down "Option - Command - P - R". Now it is just black - no response. Does anyone have an idea of what I need to do?

iMac

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 10:47 AM

2 replies

Nov 17, 2017 1:20 PM in response to mateoec

It sounds like you need to check the display cable but it also sounds like your computer isn't picking up the option key from the keyboard. Wired or wireless keyboard? If wireless try a wired keyboard. I believe you should be presented with the boot panel before you encounter a loading bar but it's been awhile so I could be wrong about that.

imac late 2009 load OS on new hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.