Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my macbook does not have the option of connecting to wifi only the ethernet?

I cannot connect to wifi on my mac, it does not have the wifi symbol top right hand side and in system preferences wifi is blanked out, I can only connect via the Ethernet? any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10, MacOS sierra Version 10.12.3

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 12:34 PM

If possible can you upload a screenshot?

If you select wifi at left, click the cog icon next to + and - at the bottom. Can you Make Service Active? See https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202480

Alternatively, using that page, try creating a new location and testing with that.

13 replies

Nov 17, 2017 12:37 PM in response to sonyafromauckland

What if you click the + at the bottom? Are you able to add wifi?

If not, please do this:

How to create a new network location

1. Choose Apple menu () > System Preferences, then click Network.
  2. The Location pop-up menu shows the name of your currently selected set of network settings. The default location is named Automatic. Choose Edit Locations from this menu.User uploaded file
  3. A locations dialog opens. Click User uploaded file below the list of locations, then type a name for the new location, such as Work or Home or Mobile:User uploaded file
  4. Click Done. The Location menu should now show the name of your new location. Any changes you make here to your network settings will be saved to that location when you click Apply. The network settings in your previous location remain as you left them, so you can switch back at any time.
  5. Click Apply to save your settings and switch from the previous location to the new one. Your Mac automatically tries to determine the correct settings for each type of network. If you need to adjust the settings further, remember to click Apply again. If your new settings don't allow you to connect to your network, click Assist Me.

Nov 19, 2017 7:52 AM in response to sonyafromauckland

This may seem like a dumb question, but couldn't the problem be with your wifi hardware, not the software? I know that occasionally, my Apple Airport Extreme has had difficulties, and I had to unplug it, replug it and restart it. After that everything went all right. And recently, I had no Internet service, and the problem turned out to be with a metal connector at the end of the cable that supplies my Internet service.

Your problem may have nothing to do with these hardware matters (or with different hardware), but it might do.

Wishing you well,

jenny

my macbook does not have the option of connecting to wifi only the ethernet?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.