Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Apple still asking pre knowledge security questions?

NIST now recommends against their usage. Why is Apple still using them? With the ridiculous data breaches we keep seeing it is stupid to continue to use pre knowledge questions to verify someone's identity. I can't change "the street I grew up on" or "my childhood nickname".

Apple, wake up and get rid of these questions - they don't enhance security and in fact hinder it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:11 AM

3 replies

Nov 17, 2017 11:19 AM in response to life359

life359 wrote:

NIST now recommends against their usage. Why is Apple still using them? With the ridiculous data breaches we keep seeing it is stupid to continue to use pre knowledge questions to verify someone's identity. I can't change "the street I grew up on" or "my childhood nickname".

Apple, wake up and get rid of these questions - they don't enhance security and in fact hinder it.

Apple only uses them if you don't implement two-factor authentication. Apple has been strongly recommending this change for a couple of years. And, I believe, if you create a new account, 2FA is required.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Why is Apple still asking pre knowledge security questions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.