Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone whos gained access to my laptop, add software to confuse the actual users identity?

In other words, could someone who got into my laptop while it was powered on and unlocked, add a program that would allow it to be cloned. I log in and it appears its mine but in actuality, they've gotten into my system and can observe and keep copies of the content I have just shot. The reason I ask is i recently disabled guest user and occasionally after startup, the guest user login appears and I recently read about how to reboot in single user mode. Everytime I have done the apple & S key, I get varying results on screen. Please let me know if Ive either lost my mind or this is an issue I need to address and resolve.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 11.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 11:39 AM

chriskingphoto wrote:

The reason I ask is i recently disabled guest user and occasionally after startup, the guest user login appears and I recently read about how to reboot in single user mode.

That seems to be some sort of bug in High Sierra. There have been a number of threads about it. It's more annoying than serious as I recall. A search should bring them up to read for suggestions.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2017 11:39 AM in response to chriskingphoto

chriskingphoto wrote:

The reason I ask is i recently disabled guest user and occasionally after startup, the guest user login appears and I recently read about how to reboot in single user mode.

That seems to be some sort of bug in High Sierra. There have been a number of threads about it. It's more annoying than serious as I recall. A search should bring them up to read for suggestions.

Nov 17, 2017 11:38 AM in response to chriskingphoto

If you are certain that someone had physical access to your computer, then yes, it is possible.

Based on what you said I believe you have nothing to worry about.

If you would like some added peace of mind, I suggest turning on two factor authentication for your Apple ID as well as FileVault, or check off All user to reset password using Apple ID in System Prefs.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204915

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204837

Can someone whos gained access to my laptop, add software to confuse the actual users identity?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.